AGILE AIRPORT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
The Board of Supervisors Meeting June 27, 2017 Agenda Item 4.
Was the Measure A Oversight Committee aware of this?
If you would like to communicate with the Supervisors, I recommend e-mail.
RESOLUTION NO. .
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS, COUNTY OF SAN MATEO, STATE OF CALIFORNIA
MEASURE K: RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING; A) AN AGILE AIRPORT COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST POSITION FOR A TERM OF UP TO THREE YEARS IN THE AMOUNT OF $150,000 PER YEAR (SALARY AND BENEFITS), FOR A TOTAL FISCAL OBLIGATION NOT-TO-EXCEED $450,000; AND B) THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS, OR HIS DESIGNEE, TO EXECUTE AN AMENDMENT TO THE AGREEMENT WITH VECTOR AIRPORT SYSTEMS FOR AN AIRCRAFT MONITORING SYSTEM, EXTENDING THE TERM TO JUNE 30, 2020, AND INCREASING THE AMOUNT BY $213,820 FOR A TOTAL FISCAL OBLIGATION NOT-TO-EXCEED $313,695; AND 1) THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS, OR HIS DESIGNEE, TO EXECUTE CONTRACT AMENDMENTS WHICH MODIFY THE COUNTY’S MAXIMUM FISCAL OBLIGATION BY NO MORE THAN $25,000 IN AGGREGATE, AND MODIFY THE CONTRACT TERM, SERVICES, OR MAKE OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE CHANGES TO THE VECTOR AIRPORT SYSTEMS AGREEMENT SO LONG AS THE MODIFIED TERM OR SERVICES PROVIDED ARE WTIHIN THE CURRENT OR REVISED FISCAL PROVISIONS; AND C) THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC WORKS, OR HIS DESIGNEE, TO EXECUTE AN AGREEMENT WITH HUGHES AEROSPACE FOR THE TERM OF JULY 1, 2017 TO JUNE 30, 2020, IN THE AMOUNT OF $226, 800, TO REVIEW AND RECOMMEND FLIGHT PATHS INTO AND OUT OF THE SAN CARLOS AIRPORT, DEVELOP INSTRUMENT FLIGHT PROCEDURES FOR DEPARTURE FLIGHTS, AND EVALUATE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES THAT SUPPORT NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES; AND 1) WAIVE THE FORMAL REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL PROCESS AND AWARD CONTRACT TO HUGHES AEROSPACE AS THEY ARE AN AUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY AIR NAVIGATION SERVICES PROVIDER FOR THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION; AND 2) ACCEPT OR EXECUTE, ON BEHALF OF THE COUNTY, ANY AND ALL NOTICES, OPTIONS, CONSENTS, APPROVALS, TERMINATIONS, AND DOCUMENTS IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING CHANGE ORDERS AND PAYMENT UP TO A MAXIMUM AGGREGATE AMOUNT, NOT-TO-EXCEED $22,680, OR 10 PERCENT OF THE AGREEMENT AMOUNT ______________________________________________________________
RESOLVED, by the Board of Supervisors of the County of San Mateo, State of California, that
WHEREAS, in March 2016, this Board initiated a San Carlos Airport Aircraft Disturbance Study to look at options to provide meaningful relief for affected communities; and
WHEREAS, a component of this Study was to look at best practices of similar general aviation airports; and
WHEREAS, the County contracted with Aviation Management Consulting Group (AMCG) to develop a report on best practices to address aircraft community impacts. Included in this report is the recommendation to develop a comprehensive Noise Management Plan and to hire a dedicated community noise management staff position to address noise/operational issues, make personal contact with pilots and community members, provide outreach and education to the public and pilots, and to monitor and track noise complaints; and
WHEREAS, the implementation of Vector Airport Systems, an aircraft departure monitoring system, provides real-time flight track data, automates the integration of flight track data into the Airport’s noise complaint system, allows timely and efficient monitoring of complaints and aircraft operations, and provides additional security for the airport after-hours; and
WHEREAS, the County of San Mateo’s Ordinance 2.83.050(f) allows the Board of Supervisors to waive the Request for Proposal (RFP) competitive bidding process in any situation where the Board determines that a formal process would not be in the best interest of the County ; and
WHEREAS, Hughes Aerospace is one of only two organizations that are certified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for Public Third Party Instrument Procedure design, validation, and maintenance; and
WHEREAS, staff recommends this Board waive the RFP process as Hughes
Aerospace is uniquely qualified and has the experience providing this type of service to general aviation airports; and the only other provider is currently already engaged with the FAA on NextGen for larger airlines; and
WHEREAS, the subcommittee of the Board of Supervisors has recommended using Measure K funds for the Vector Airport System and an agile Airport Communications Specialist position for a term of three years to enhance the Airport’s ability to track, monitor and respond to noise complaints and operational concerns; and
WHEREAS, Measure K is a half-cent general sales tax initially approved by the San Mateo County voters (as Measure A) in November 2012 for 10 years and extended by the voters in November 2016 for an additional 20 years, to 2043.
WHEREAS, there are sufficient Measure K funds to support this request and funding is already appropriated in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 Recommended Budget.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY DETERMINED AND ORDERED as follows:
- The hiring of an Agile Airport Communications Specialist position with total compensation up to $150,000 per year is hereby approved for a term of up to three years using Measure K funds.
- The Director of Public Works, or his designee, is hereby authorized to execute an amendment to the Vector Airport Systems agreement to extend the term to June 30, 2020 and increase total cost by $213,820 for a total fiscal obligation not-to-exceed $313,695 using Measure K funds.
- The Director of Public Works, or his designee, is hereby authorized to
execute contract amendments which modify the County’s maximum fiscal obligation by no more than $25,000 in aggregate, and modify the contract term, services, or make other administrative changes to the Vector Airport System’s agreement so long as the modified term or services provided are within the current or revised fiscal provisions.
- The Director of Public Works, or his designee, is hereby authorized to waive the formal competitive bidding process and execute an agreement with Hughes Aerospace in the amount of $226, 800 for a term of July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2020.
- The Director of Public Works, or his designee, is hereby authorized to execute on behalf of the County any and all notices, options, consents, approvals, terminations, and documents in connection with the Hughes Aerospace agreement, including change orders and payment up to a maximum aggregate amount, not-to-exceed $22,680 or 10 percent of the agreement amount.
- The Clerk of the Board of Supervisors: County of San Mateo, is hereby authorized and directed to attest the signature of the President of this Board of Supervisors to said written agreement.